If you watched Anna Olson’s baking videos, you’ll know that teacakes are not just cakes, but pastry including scones and biscuits. This article is specially prepared not only for those who love teatime desserts but also for people with passions for cooking and baking. Here I’ve gathered a few recipes for making teacakes:
Scones are perfect desserts for teatime as its taste is not too heavy. It is usually eaten with tea and jam for a light and sweet taste.
Ingredients: 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, 1 cup raisins, 1 cup milk, 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 230 degree Celsius, and cover a large baking sheet with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
- Put in small cubes of butter, mix and add raisins.
- Pour in milk + 2 eggs, and stir.
- Knead the dough on a flat and lightly floured surface, and flatten it into half an inch thick.
- Cut the dough with a 3-inch round cutter, and brush egg white onto the scones.
- Bake for 15 – 18 mins until they’re golden brown.
*BIG tip for making scones: Don’t over mix!
Other than scones, biscuits are also a good choice to be eaten with tea. Also, it’ll be nice to have an interactive session with children making various shapes of biscuits.
Ingredients: 200 g softened unsalted butter, 200 g golden caster sugar, 1 large egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 400 g plain flour
- Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius and cover the baking tray with a baking sheet.
- Put the softened butter in a bowl and beat it with an electric beater.
- Add in sugar, egg and vanilla, beat it again, then mix with flour. (add more a little more flour if it’s too sticky)
- Roll out the dough on a flat surface and flatten it into the thickness of two 50 cents.
- Cut out shapes with cutters that are approximately 9 cm.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are brown.
3. Double Chocolate Muffin
Muffin is quick and easy to make too~ Just nice for your hungry stomach in the afternoon XD
Ingredients: 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 2 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 2/3 cup sour cream, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 190 degree Celsius and cover muffin tins with a thin layer of oil.
- Put in oil, sugar, milk into a large bowl and whisk.
- Stir in eggs, vanilla extract and add sour cream.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt little by little into the mixture.
- Add in 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter by filling 2/3 of the muffin tin.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and bake for around 18 minutes.